I think everyone have already heard about phrase “Digital Detox”. One year ago I noticed that I wasted so much time for smartphone and social media. First thing which I did when I waked up was check my social media accounts using smartphone. Every time push notifications in my phone broke my attention and I couldn’t focus on tasks.
I realized that the majority of my communication with people took place through the internet and it was a problem! Everyone who knows me are clearly understand that I like self improvement. When I “catch” a problem in myself I try to solve it.
Half year ago I was involved into my own life challenge. I bought a feature phone (flip phone) with KaiOS (Kaios Technologies) on board and start to use it as my main phone. After half a year of experiment I can tell you about what I learned and how my life was changed:
– More productive work. Push notifications feature is
brilliant but destructive. Right now I check social media in general one
time per day
– Using app only when I need it. When I have to use some apps like smartbank, maps, yandex taxi etc. I take my smartphone and use it for its intended purpose
– Real dialogs and speech. When I start to use feature phone I reduce sending messages. Instead of that I start to voice call and talk with people in that way. Right now real dialogs for me are not a problem
– Social media addiction. Every “like” increase dopamine, which can affected to person and he or she wants more “likes”. Right now I check social media not so often than it was
– Real life. When I stop using smartphone and social media so often I start to live in real life, not virtual one
Joshua Fields Millburn & Ryan Nicodemus from theminimalists.com announced experiment “Screenless Saturdays” The main idea of this experiment is avoid all social media, computer screens and glowing screens all day Saturday. It is perfect possibility to start digital detox.
Have a good day